Sunday, August 17, 2008

Come on we don’t copy! It is inspired.



I initially thought of writing on all the movies those were copied from the Hollywood. I sat and Listed few names which I knew. After searching on internet, I found that this research work has already been done.

I am feeling cheated after reading the list. I was sad after reading names of movies which I rated as great. Bollywood is notorious for copying (Read: getting inspired) the music, plot, scenes and sometimes entire movie frame-to-frame.

Reasons

  • You do not require brain.

  • Many producers want to repeat the success of the films that is hit somewhere. It is highly likely that the remake will also be hit. Most reasons of copying are same as motive behind masala movies (Read to my earlier post on psyche behind masala movies)

  • There is no threat of punishment from coping, you simply copy and forget.
But as the bollywood market size is growing, even west will have eye on the India. In the past, there were talks of sony sueing Indian partner for copying 'Hitch' , but it dint not happen. But suppose if such things happen, it will be act as to all copies thereafter.

Actually, one unsuccessful suing attempt was done in past on ‘Karishma’ serial telecasted on ‘Sahara Television’. Author ‘Barbara Taylor Bradford’ claimed the serial was based on her novel.

Author lost, thanks to Sahara lawyers. It saved India’s face in front of entire world. Let’s hope judiciary systems will favour India like this always.

No comments: